Thursday, April 7, 2011

It's Raining Again!!

Yippee!  The rain has come to visit again!  I know, this means more weeds, but it also means that things will stay greener a little bit longer.  We basically live in a desert...okay, they try to glorify it by calling it a "Mediterranean climate", but no one is fooling me with the fancy name.  It is a desert.  Once the sun stays out more than a couple of days, usually around the end of March, with no chance of rain, everything turns yellow and brown.  That's the way it stays until late fall.  The temperatures here don't help either...right now, the highest temperature we have had was somewhere in the 80's...bearable.  Soon, usually right after the rodeo (which is the last full weekend in April), the mercury gets close to 90 and it stays there or above throughout the entire summer and most of fall.  Egh.  I need to move. 

Anyway, the rain is welcome for more than just greenery.  The soil will be soft again, and the slave...I mean child, can get out there and get more weeds out.  I'm sure she'll be thrilled.  She wants to visit the new Forever 21 3-story store they just opened here...I think I can talk her in to more weeding. 

Next week is the last week of school before Spring Break.  I am hoping to get the garden completely started some time during that vacation week.  We are going to husband's sister's house to help construct a chicken coop for them and then I can dedicate the rest of the week to the garden.  I have yet to get the soaker hoses unwrapped and set out to uncurl themselves.  I also need to purchase some sort of wire thingies to hold the soaker hose down.  The bean and pea trellis needs to go up and I need to get a few large clay pots ready for the herbs.  Oh, I also need to get a cattle panel for the tomatoes to grow against...no more of those foolish wire cages that always manage to fall down halfway through the season.  Then there's the issue of keeping the chickens out of there...I researched a bit and the consensus is that the chickens will most likely stay out of the garden.  If they are given room to roam where there are lots of bugs and other smal plants etc., they will stay away from a fenced area...even if the fence is only 3 feet tall.  I guess we'll see...if it becomes a problem, I may start looking at chicken recipes. 

I took a funny picture of the seedlets...sort of a bug's eye view.  Makes it look jungle like...ha!


This is how they really look...still on top of the dryer! 

Off to go play in the rain!  Or to pull weeds...

No comments:

Post a Comment