Tuesday, April 5, 2011

It's beginning to look a lot like planting time!

The chickies, including the famed Lady Gaga, are doing well!  They are starting to grow a little, which always makes me a little sad.  When they get to the gangly stage, which I liken to teenagedom, they look so...well weird.  Their necks get longer and their legs get longer, making them look extremely disproportionate.  But, I am getting ahead of myself here.  Mine still look like cute fluffy chickies.  This morning, in fact, they were all lying in the shavings on their bellies asleep...then when they saw me, they started peeping loudly and running around all crazy.  Tomorrow the farm store where I work is getting new chickies in...can't wait to see what they get. 

The vegetable garden is making a slow recovery from all the rain...weeds grew back in many of the places that I removed them from...grrrrrr....  Then there is this awful grass called Bermuda grass that is anything but what the name implies.  It is an invasive grass that sends out multiple feelers, I guess you'd call them, and then the feelers send down roots every few inches and you get this tangled web of grass.  Okay, seriously, in its defense, it makes for lovely lawns and most golf courses have grass similar to this.  It mows well and is very spingy when taken care of properly.  However, it is an unwelcome guest in my vegetable garden.  Yesterday, I spent the better part of an hour taking turns with the hula hoe, the claw, and the weasel...all to see very little in the way of progress.  On a positive note, I did get a very nice arm workout.  I think that the remaining tangle will be handled by one of the children living in my house. 

I do have to get a move on, however, on getting the soil ready to go.  The seedlets are becoming rather large and I'm afraid that they will start to die due to lack of proper growing space.  The beans are really tall and are starting to lean over...the peas are doing well...the peppers are finally looking like something too.  Hurray!

A concern presented itself to me yesterday while I was doing my vigorous arm workout...the fence around the garden is designed mostly to keep out small wandering creatures.  The cats find their way in their occasionally, but the dogs are unable to get in, and we don't have much else in the way of critters, except for the chickens.  Now I have seen these girls get on top of some pretty high places...for example, the top of their coop.  So, what's to say that they won't jump the fence of the garden when there are many brightly colored temptations...ie: my tomatoes...growing in there.  Ugh!  Something else to research...how to deter the egg producers from getting into the farm goods.  Obviously, the simple solution is to keep them "cooped" up...but then they lay inferior products.  What to do??!!  I'm pretty sure a stern verbal warning will NOT be sufficient.  Well, something else to Google. 

No comments:

Post a Comment