Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Random Observations and Thoughts...

Every day at lunch, I go home to eat, do a chore or two around the house, and let the fowl out for their afternoon of bug hunting and other shenanigans.  When I let them out, they crowd around the door and then spill out into the yard falling over and stepping on each other to get out.  I just stand there as I'm afraid to get caught up in the traffic and inflict accidental (??) harm to one of them.  Then I take my egg basket and go into the coop to see who has been productive.  I always make Coop Mama angry by removing 5 or 6 eggs from underneath her.  Coop Mama is mean and I might have to start wearing gloves to retrieve the treasures under her.  She takes it so personally.  After I take the eggs, she stands on top of the condos and squawks letting everyone know she's been robbed.  I wonder if the other hens get mad at her for allowing me to take their babies.  Maybe they shouldn't leave them in someone's else's care, you know?  Well, there are a couple that lay their eggs in other condos, so obviously they either don't trust her, or are bad parents.  Anyway, Tuesday, I forgot I had left the egg basket over by the back door the other day, so I collected the eggs in my hands and took them inside.  Husband was home too making lunch and he told me to come take a look at the cat.  Usually this means the cat is doing something funny or just weird.  It was worth walking over to the back door.  Ninja cat has decided that this is now her basket and that this is a good place to just chill.  See below...


Now for the best part...Ninja decided to give herself a bath in the basket.  I had just gotten out my big fancy camera to try to take a picture.  I wish I had gotten the picture..Ninja cat and  the basket toppled off the railing.  I learned that cats, contrary to popular belief, don't always land on their feet.  She hasn't been in the basket since.

Lunch yesterday was delicious...provided by the girls in the coop.  I read in my chicken bible about the proper method for hard boiling fresh eggs.  Seems you have to let them sit a day or two before you can boil them successfully.  I had no idea.  I guess the whites of the eggs don't "gel" the first day or two after being collected.  Anyway, I boiled some the other day and yesterday I made an egg salad sandwich.  I discovered, much to my dismay, my girls' hard boiled eggs do not peel well...the shells are super thick and hard to crack.  I know that unboiled, they are hard to crack.  Must be all that oyster shell calcium I give them!   I learned on one of my favorite websites, http://casualkitchen.blogspot.com/, it is better to crack eggs on a flat surface than on the edge of a bowl or counter.  The shell sticks to the membrane and doesn't shatter and fall into the bowl.  True statement!!  So, I managed to peel my hard boiled gems, but after being peeled, they looked pretty rough.  Rough or not, I chopped them up, added some mayo, and some garlic seasoning, and yum!  The picture below is my nearly consumed sammy. 



I'm starting to feel a little like I'm living in Jack and the Beanstalkland...I got up the other morning to have a look at the seedlets...oh my...they have grown so much, they pushed the lid completely off of the tray.  The picture below shows the beans and peas at one end.  Herbs are on the other end, so they are not quite as tall, or strong for that matter.  The other tray is also sprouting, but since I moved the tray around so much when I was watering, I think I might have it backwards...not sure what is sprouting with such a vengeance.  It says peppers, but they look a lot more like squash plants...I don't know...hopefully they identify themselves shortly.  I didn't take a picture of them...didn't want to disturb their little habitat just yet.



It's raining today, so hopefully it will rain enough to get the soil wet enough for me to finish "tilling".  I still have the other half of the garden to do, which will be for the squash and cucumbers.  It wasn't so bad last Saturday, but of course, I started with the easy section...why do I always do that??!!   Oh well...I do have teenagers, so maybe I will just put them to work.  Novel idea...

No comments:

Post a Comment