Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Fearless Fowl...or Just Stupid

My days have consisted of getting up, going to work, coming home, collecting eggs, and missing out on all the poultry shenanigans that I got to observe during the summer months. They really were an entertaining bunch.

Especially when our little rooster was still here chasing the women folk around and then moments later being chased by the same females. Apparently, he is having quite the time at his new home. Did I ever mention that? I finally got a bit disgusted with the constant day and night crowing. One of my friends with lots of chickens saved his hide. He is one of three roosters and the first night did not venture out of his carrier. Since then, he has tried to initiate his dominance, which hasn't worked out so well. He might as well be a hen at this point. Maybe he should have been much quieter at our house and only crowed during rooster approved hours of the day.

The hens, on the other hand, seem to be quite content with his absence. In fact, they have been laying a total of 10 eggs a day! The leghorns eggs are getting much more adult sized and someone is laying a fairly dark brown egg as well. Still waiting on those green eggs from the strange pair. They really are a weird duo. Neither will go anywhere without the other and if one happens to be outside the coop and the other is inside, there is such panic from both. Last night, when husband and I got home (it was dark), the fluffy ones, as I like to call them, were on top of the coop, rather than inside. There was another one or two hens up there with them. They would not go inside with the rest, so they stayed on top all night. I feel that they are either quite brave...or quite stupid. I don't think any predators would get up there, but you just never know. This morning, they seemed very irritated that they had to fly down and join the others for their breakfast. So much so, that they gave up on getting scratch and went straight to the old fig tree in the corner. So weird. The other two "normal" hens ran right into the coop. I feel as though there was some peer pressure involved. I'm also pretty sure, the other hens aren't big fans of the fluffy ones. They'd better start laying some colorful eggs, or I won't be a big fan either.

I managed to find a bright spot in our sad little garden...there are some tomatoes that are taking a stand against the ants, the grasshoppers, and the arid conditions. I was pretty excited to see some color out there. I have been resisting buying tomatoes at the store, since I'm supposed to have a plethora of them in my own yard. I don't, but I have a few. Already making plans for next year though...see my previous post.

So, back to that work portion of the day...

No comments:

Post a Comment