Friday, September 2, 2011

End of Summer...

  Sadly for me, summer has come to an end, although the calendar states I still have a few weeks until fall truly begins.  Mother Nature certainly is not in sync with the calendar, as she is blasting our world here in the "desert" with 100 plus temperatures.

My garden has suffered greatly over the summer, especially since I last wrote a post.  The extreme heat coupled with a soaker hose blow-out that I was completely unaware of for a few days, plus the dreadful grasshoppers, have made my garden somewhat of a grand failure this year.  Oh, did I mention the crazy red ant invasion at any point?  Ugh.  I have been reduced to having a few cherry tomatoes, and a few yellow tomatoes.  Even the hardy squash I bragged about last year has fallen victim to the elements.  I'm a little upset about the whole thing too.  I had hoped all the improvements we made this year would have done the trick in producing the garden I keep envisioning in my mind.  It also does not help that several of my friends have shown me their ridiculously prolific gardens that have not suffered the same woes as mine.  Well, I see it as a learning curve.  Rather dramatic this year, but I have taken away some very important things this summer.

     1.  weed fabric is a must
     2.  raised rows might be helpful...
     3.  soaker hoses must not bend at any sharp angles ever
     4.  ant hills must be taken seriously and dealt with prior to planting
     5.  grasshoppers...well, let's just keep our fingers crossed on that one

I guess our next step is to till all of the nonsense under...maybe put a large tarp over the debris and wait until next spring.  Until then, I will be sure to post about the chickens and their silliness.

We do have an alert about the "teenagers"...the two leghorns have entered the world of productivity...thankfully for them.  We have been getting two very small white eggs every day this week.  They look kind of weird next to the giant tan eggs we have.  Hooray for them!  They may live and not become nuggets.
                 






No comments:

Post a Comment